Cacadores

Field Marshal Cacs

Lead

Mar 8 08 12:03 AM

Tags : :

Infantry Tank Mark 3 Valentine Mark I
It's a tiny tank really. But with its unusual lines, low profile and forward looking turret position it's a very attractive tank, I reckon.
Year: '41
Crew: 3
Weight: 17,690kg
Dimensions: 17'9'' X 8'7.5'' X 7'5.5''
Ranges: 90 miles
Armour: 0.3-2.6'' (*3/1 - classified equal to a late Panzer III)
Firepower: 2-pder, 7.62mm MG (*3/1 - classified equal to a Panzer III H 50mm short)
Engine: 131hp
Max speed: 15mph (*meduim)
Fording: 3ft
Vertical obsticle: 2'9''
Trench: 7'6''

(*PanzerGrenadier rules factor)

Saw extensive use in the North African desert - initially out-powered the earlier 45mm gunned Panzer III's. 8000 produced.
The Valentine was designed by Vickers company as an infantry support tank. The Valentine was the UK’s third infantry tank (the first two being the Matilda 1 and the Matilda 2) hence Infantry Tank Mk 3. There were eleven different variants (Marks) of the Infantry Tank Mk 3 but they all look pretty similar. The prime changes made was the change from a petrol engine to a diesel engine for the Mk II; a new GMC diesel engine for the Mk IV. All of these Marks had a two-person turret, no bow gunner, and were under-armed with a 2-Pounder high velocity AT gun.

The Valentine Mk III and Mk V was the Valentine with a turret modified to hold a third crewmember to increase efficiency. To make room I understand the gun trunnion was moved forward 8” and the turret bustle was extended back 8” to balance. This gives the Valentine Mk III and Mk V its distinctive turret shape with bulbous gun mantlet.

Mk X and Mk XI were apparently both 75-mm gun armed.
(Thanks to Stephen Brezinski)

imageimage

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

#2 [url]

Mar 8 08 12:17 AM

They all look a bit neat. It's the rust-bucket look I was going for. This is the Italieri 1/72 scale.

Trying out 'baggage'.
Repair to front using plastic putty and some distress to the track-guard using a knife and a wire-cutter.
Wash

imageimage

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Mar 8 08 12:30 AM

Slight typo Cacs - you mean the 50mm L42 gun equipped PzIII.

The Valentine doesn't have an "A" number, as it was originally a private design, usuing a similar chassis to the early Crusiers (A9 & A10).

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

#6 [url]

Mar 8 08 12:35 AM

Rust wash - very very dilute red-brown enamel (applied to most areas over a layer of white spirit to cut down the formation of
random edges to the colour).

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Mar 8 08 8:52 AM

nice,

anyone know the regiment riding the desert tank?

Always good to see pictures from Bovington, so I hope you will all be going to Bovington in July for Battlegroup South's show and weekend extravaganza

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

#13 [url]

Mar 9 08 9:15 PM

etranger wrote:
I suppose so :l:

The PanzerGrenadier rules define the 1941 Panzer type H as being the first with a ''short 50mm'' and previous types (B-F), the ''37mm''.

In fact, the 50mm (that's the 50mm L/44/99) was fitted even to type E, all the way through to type J. That's E and F from '39, G and H from '41 and J from '42.

PanzerGrenadier rules also give the ''Long 50mm'' to 1942 types J, K, L and M.

Whereas I can only find records of the 50mm KwK L/39/78 (assuming that's the same thing) fitted to the 1942 type L. And type M, was already fitted with the L/24 75mm - same as on the Panzer IV A.

What do you reckon?

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Mar 11 08 1:01 AM

Cacadores wrote:
etranger wrote:
I suppose so :l:

The PanzerGrenadier rules define the 1941 Panzer type H as being the first with a ''short 50mm'' and previous types (B-F), the ''37mm''.

In fact, the 50mm (that's the 50mm L/44/99) was fitted even to type E, all the way through to type J. That's E and F from '39, G and H from '41 and J from '42.

PanzerGrenadier rules also give the ''Long 50mm'' to 1942 types J, K, L and M.

Whereas I can only find records of the 50mm KwK L/39/78 (assuming that's the same thing) fitted to the 1942 type L. And type M, was already fitted with the L/24 75mm - same as on the Panzer IV A.

What do you reckon?

No real disagreement here. The short 50mm was more usually known in the literature as L42 & the long 50mm as L60 but the Germans often simply differentiated them as kurz (or short) & lang (or long) barrelled in strength returns. IIRC the short 50 was first fitted to the ausf H but retrofitted to some of the earlier models. Ausf L through M had the long 50, some built nominally as ausf N may have recieved long 50s in place of the usual short 75mm gun, although otherwise the difference between the M & N was minimal. Some late Ausf J might also have received the long 50mm gun. I'll try & find the appropriate Panzertracts next weekend.

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

#16 [url]

Mar 11 08 4:42 PM

Ok - then the PanzerGrenadier rules would be taking account of retro-fitting, which is fair enough.

Actually, for gaming of course, you just go with what the model has. But any info you've got ET would be interesting.

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

#17 [url]

Mar 12 08 3:59 PM

Here's a Valantine with the red and white mark: the Matildas had the same - except there was less room with the cannisters to have it on the turret sides[img]image

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help