Lead

Sep 5 10 9:52 AM

Tags : :

Hello all, I'm an old wargamer in Kent. I started on the 1879 Zulu War and 1/300 Moderns at 14 at the legendary Loughton Strike Force twenty five years ago.

Sadly, Moderns of that scale and period became outdated when the Soviets gave up and went home, and there doesn't seem to be much interest in the Zulu War so I'm reduced to playing Games Workshop products.

I will be in the Medway area of Kent from the end of September so if anyone would like a challenge and has time to kill then you can find me through this forum.
Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

Brig. General

#1 [url]

Sep 10 10 9:35 PM

Shame you can't do moderns: I've seen a lot of people doing them. In fact Pete's Cold War Commander is a fairly recent rule set that I've seen used a few times. Cold war includes the Israeli wars too so I'm surprised you can't interested parties.

Anyway, I might take you up on the challenge when I'm back in the UK.

Welcome on here, adam.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Sep 10 10 10:20 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome, Cacadores. I still have enough BAOR and USAREUR for a BG each (NOT a "Team"-I don't follow the yanks much, being a Tom of the old school), as well as a Soviet Cat 1 Tank Regt plus East German support. I also have the full set of Challenger 2000 rules and supplements but they do seem quite cumbersome in these days of true moderns.

My trouble is that there are no opponents who are prepared to put up with a two-hour pregame monster effort of Engineering, Recce, Air Battle, EW and Artillery BEFORE the game has even started. My last moderns game ten years ago lasted twenty minutes when my lead elements of Iraq's 1st Mechanised Div melted away against 1 (UK) Div's 1RSDG Battlegroup. Any game after that became a pointless embarrassment of Russian-built cardboard armour.

I fancy Modern Spearhead in future but there's no interest here in the Medway area of North Kent, but I'm happy to travel (most of my muckers are still in uniform and live halfway across the country anyway) so I'm here and I'm hungry, if you understand me. It's rats watching the boys being fed into the same old cold war grinder I was twenty years ago then watching them taking on Johnny Afghan. Drop me a line and I would be happy to arrange a Big Push here on camp (1 RSME, Chatham).

Regards to you all.

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

Brig. General

#3 [url]

Sep 13 10 12:14 AM

Okay doke. I'm often in Eastern Europe, so I've tons of photos of Soviet AFVs. My favourites are the T-72 and the BMPs. Not much armour, but they ain't half manoeurable when you see them thrown around: they can turn on the proverbial sixpence. I can see why they were made for the mud and rivers of Europe. Out in the desert, that's a different matter of course....

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Sep 13 10 5:56 AM

The Chally was designed for the Shah but did the job it was intended for in the end. I can only imagine what fear it caused amongst the Soviets when it first appeared-it's no surprise to me that they didn't fancy it.

I'm an ex-scaley and missed the recent desert [Brighton rock]-ups. I didn't however miss all those 'police actions' of the 1990s, which got me places but no bloody chocolate money on my twos. Interesting places seen and curious people met however, so I'm better off for it.

I don't envy the young lads coming through the mill now. I work at the Royal Engineers' school at Chatham and the boys aren't bothered by the job they have to do (because at least they have a job). They are still taught to fight a conventional ruck (ie the Soviets) in phase one and don't touch Optag until prior to deployment some two years later, which is mental. It certainly goes to show how much we need to file 13 a few of the head-sheds.

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

Brig. General

#5 [url]

Sep 13 10 1:54 PM

Sounds a bit like the Paras who still train for mid-level jumps. For some non-tactical reasons best known to themselves!

Yes, the Chally: still the best tank. And more importantly the only MBT to make a decent cup of tea.

My dad was in REME in WW2; gunnery instructor. He enjoyed his war. Except that India put him off curries for life.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Sep 13 10 3:00 PM

I was always convinced that p-pay was the only thing keeping the blokes in the brigade, but after many years on att. to 5 Bde (shows how old I am) I know now that even after they dropped milling from pre-para selection, those mentalists still love the phys, patrol skills and all the bonkers history (Bruneval, Normandy, Arnhem, Aden, Goose Green, etc) and there's no subs[nipple]ute for it, regardless of what the bloody Commandos say!

Anyhoo, I'm moving in two weeks but after that I will dig out all my old 1/300 kit and see what I can turn out. Looking forward to seeing you in the not-too-distant future old boy.

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

Brig. General

#7 [url]

Sep 13 10 10:37 PM

OK, indeed. My own move curtailed last week because the seller's wife decided to sue him. Good luck with yours. Hope it's to somewhere with a decent wargames room!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help