Lead

Feb 16 10 9:25 AM

Tags : :

Not young, gaming on and off for 25 years. Started gaming after invaliding out of SA Army Parachute Bn in 1977. Love 6mm and operational level games when time and travel permits. Glad to be here.
Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

#3 [url]

May 12 10 11:25 AM

Very nice to have you here. Me mum just got back from her hols down your way. Out of interest - did you parachute in anger much? The British have their Parachute regiment but as for actual parachuting, they haven't really done any combat jumps since Suez - now it looks like the only parachuting done by western nations is either HALO or HAHO, and that's restricted to small teams of special forces. Do you think there'll ever be a sizable parachute jump in combat again?

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 4 10 8:27 AM

I doubt a combat jump. The risks are too high although there were jumps in Angola on to forming up points. This was also a tactic used in Rhodesia from very low level but very close to the action, my knee is a souvenir of that! Otherwise helicopter provides a better result - not dispersed and usually in exactly the right place with fewer troop injuries.

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

#5 [url]

Jun 4 10 11:06 PM

Yes.....and lack of Chinooks in Afghanistan forces troops to move by road so the insurgents switch to road mines unfortunately. Ah - were you in the RLI too? They were jumping from 500ft or less.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help