Cacadores

Brig. General

Field Marshal Cacs

Lead

Apr 18 09 1:09 AM

Tags : :

Magic Basing

I read of people using a glue and sand paste to base with. I tried that and found it very messy and tended to cover the models' feet. I do it a different way: this is it. It would be interesting to hear how others do it too.

imageimage

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

Brig. General

#1 [url]

Apr 18 09 1:10 AM

Well, I called it magic basing because it makes use of a strange phenomina to make basing very quick, and neat. Here it's a skirmish base in an arid environment, but the method really becomes useful if you're doing multiple figures on a base.

First attach the model to the base: here superglue is used to attach a figure to a metal washer base, but it works on card bases just as well. I use 1mm artists' mounting card from an art shop.

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

Brig. General

#2 [url]

Apr 18 09 1:11 AM

Dip the base in water. If the base is made of card then it's better to apply the water with a brush to keep the water away from the underside.

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

Brig. General

#4 [url]

Apr 18 09 1:12 AM

Apply PVA white wood glue roughly, just around the base keeping it away from the figure's feet. Now the point of this is that you don't have to fiddle about trying to get the glue into the nooks and crannies around or between the feet.

2image

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

Brig. General

#7 [url]

Apr 18 09 1:13 AM

You can see that the sand fills up the nooks and crannies. Using the first force of nature to help you: gravity makes the sand fall away from the figure naturally so you don't get it over the feet.

3image

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

Brig. General

#9 [url]

Apr 18 09 1:15 AM

And if you tip the figure over right now, then the sand between the feet will fall off too. But, if you leave it flat, with the loose sand on, a magic thing happens. The surface on each grain of sand, when placed next to another grain, creates a very slight electro-magnetic tension: a kind of suface tension.

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

Brig. General

#10 [url]

Apr 18 09 1:15 AM

The two grain surfaces attract the fluid in the glue and water and a kind of capillery action will spread the glue over every grain of sand (or flock) on the base - even into the loose sand between the figure's feet. But not, obviously, onto the sand that falls on the figures head or radio.

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

Brig. General

#11 [url]

Apr 18 09 1:16 AM

If you let the base dry slowly, then the surface area naturally goes down and you get a nice, tight sanded (or flocked) base, with the model's feet appearing to stand on the sand, not in it.

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

Brig. General

#12 [url]

Apr 18 09 1:16 AM

This surface dries like concrete: here's a larger, but very thin base made of thick paper.

It looks like the gun is delicatley perched on top of the sand. But actually it's fixed as hard as concrete and won't come off. The paper base is now a solid thing.

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

Brig. General

#13 [url]

Apr 18 09 1:19 AM

With card, it can look alarming when the damp sand makes the card base curl up. But if you leave it, it should go flat when it dries. The base I used here was as thin as paper, which is a little extreme, so I glued two bases together first and let them dry. This 2-ply method stops curling.

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

Brig. General

#14 [url]

Apr 18 09 1:20 AM

Anyway, it's very neat and very quick. If it's a hot day and the glue's drying too fast, then just drop a water droplet onto the sand.

Here, you can dab more glue on and sprinkle some other colour over it, or stick on grass etc as normal.

4image

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

Brig. General

#15 [url]

Apr 18 09 1:21 AM

5image

This base material is hard, but is still technically water soluable, so put some laquer or varnish over it to make it 100% permanent.

The other way to base is to use acrylic grout instead of flock or sand, but that's another story :l: How do you do it?

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help