Cacadores

Brig. General

Field Marshal Cacs

Lead

Nov 28 07 1:45 AM

Tags : :

New Members

If you'd like to join this site, then click the 'register' or 'login' button below the picture header. You'll need to apply to jamesingalway@yahoo.ie Please say why you are interested in Wargaming. You'll then be sent instructions.

Unsuccessful log-ins

While I'm here - if you're new, you might find, that after you log in, a message appears saying
''Unsuccessful'' or 'not recognised' or somesuch.

This is just a lie.

Dunno why it does it. I've tried giving it a stiff talking to and the odd slap, but..........it just sulks.

If you just wait, and I mean wait for about half a minute and then click on the home page surround, you should find yourself logged on anyway.

No e-mail confirmation

After you register for the first time, you should get an e-mail telling you what to do. If you don't, then maybe you wrote the e-mail in wrong. But even without the e-mail, you could just try going to 'log in' on the home page and sticking in the username (your handle) and password (that's the secret one you invented). It should work anyway.

Still can't log on

Blimey. OK. Did you use punctuation (,';-_@., etc) in your username handle? Bad. Gaps are OK, but punctuation could cause problems.

Did you have capitals in your username handle or secret password? You can, like me. But you have to replicate them when you log on too. Check your caps lock isn't on.

Can't get into certain parts of the site

Unlike some other web-sites there are no secret bits to this site and no-one is cut off from any part of it. The only two exceptions are:
a) the 'private message' system (see tabs at top of page) which allows some trusted members to, well, send private messages to other members without anyone else (including us the moderators) seeing. Members we know well may use it. They might want to use it to send an address to get in contact with someone, for example. You might not have PMs - the decision to have them, not to have them or to take them away is arbitary and based on trust. The reasons?
I) Atmosphere on other groups have been spoilt by deliberate rumour-mongers, or people using it as a vehicle to form secret groups. And
II) Because the only way to maintain our promise to acceed to the democratic wishes of members in all that we do, and to allow free, open debate and critisism of ourselves, is to, well, prevent malicious secret debate.
Personally, I'd recommend not getting too obsessed with PMs and to ask everyone to stick your comments on open forum as far as possible. And
b) the 'Chat' category, which is only closed to lurkers who haven't signed in to the site at all.

Restricted members

We don't (unlike another site!) have any deliberately restricted members. If you find yourself 'restricted' then it must be a configeration fault and you should let us know so we can correct it. The phpBB Forumer site hosts provide all their site administrators with the theoretical power to restrict members from certain parts of the site (although it's not a straightforward process) and even to remove posts. We don't know why that should occur. If we ever got complaints about a very nasty poster, then he or she'd be told about it on open forum and perhaps enter the *mollification process. Which brings us to:

Complaints

If you'd like to make a complaint about another member of this site, with a view to the moderators or administrators doing something about it, then please do it on open forum, not by private message and it will be dealt with as far as possible on open forum. Post it on the offending thread, or in the 'Suggestions' category. By all means send a private massage to one of us to draw our attention to the compaint, if you think it wasn't seen. We want to avoid sneakiness But I don't think anyone's got a problem with arguments on threads. If you want to complain about an Administrator, then no worries, you may!

Administrators and moderators

Administrators have the power to alter all the site configerations. We can stick up new categories and we alter the pictures on the home page header. We have a responsibility to see all members are treated fairly and to make this site the best. This site has two administrators: uriahheep2000 (from Scarborough Wargaming Club) and Cacadores (from Wargame Wargame). We are two people, so there may be inconsistansies from time to time But, I guess, if you don't like what one does, then you can always appeal to the other one! We suggest the 'Suggestions' category is as good a place to do this as any.

Moderators: these are up front and are named in front of the various categories. The two Administrators can also act as Moderators. The Moderators' job, as the name suggests, is to moderate. That is, to use the power of their 'rhetoric' (! that is, from Greek ῥήτωρ, rhêtôr, orator, teacher, is the art or technique of persuasion through the use of oral, visual, or written language;) to mollify* angry wargamers and to promote and expand their part of the site.

They have the power to remove posts, but that should be a last resort when rhetoric has been expended and failed. If a post is removed in an extreme case, they should post a message on the thread to that effect, givng the reasons. We don't think posts should ever be deliberately edited as that may cause even more problems - better to remove the whole post and give the poster a chance to re-formulate it.

I don't think threads should be removed either as it smacks of repression of debate, something we're against. Further hard and fast rules have not yet been decided upon, as they will come as the site develops. Meaning that you can post your ideas on these things and perhaps influence how this site develops, yourself.

Rules so far

(Uriah has not approved these yet) We may have children using the site, so post with them in mind. Lying about people and small businesses can also cause problems.

That's it really.

If you're still having trouble logging on, then tell us.

You can test out a log in at an identically hosted (but unused) site here
http://cacadores.17.forumer.com/memberlist.php

or, if neither work, you can send an e-mail explaining the problem to jamesingalway@yahoo.ie with 'TWS' in the subject box.[/b]

*Mollification.
Mollification involves 'chatting' to posters, 'listening' to their views and calming them down if necessary!

imageimage

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

Brig. General

#1 [url]

Feb 7 08 4:06 PM

Dear ******,

Miss-sent activation e-mails

When you first 'register', you're sent an e-mail with an http/:************* address. This is your 'activation code'. You're supposed to click on this to get in.

Well don't - because if the 'http/:************' speads over two lines in your e-mail window, and you click on it, then you're using only the first line of it on the web. So, best thing is to select it all, right click on your mouse to copy it and then paste it (another right click) in the space for http/: addresses at the very top of your screen. Then click enter.

But, actually you don't have to: you can go direct to the site and just log in.

''Unsuccessful'' log-ins

If you're new, you might find, that after you log in, a message appears saying
''Unsuccessful'' or 'not recognised' or somesuch.

This is just a lie.

Dunno why it does it. I've tried giving it a stiff talking to and the odd slap, but..........it just sulks.

If you just wait, and I mean wait for about a minute and then click on the home page surround, you should find yourself logged on anyway.

No e-mail confirmation

After you register for the first time, you should get an e-mail telling you what to do. It may come in to your 'spam' box as it's automatic. If you don't, then maybe you wrote the e-mail in wrong. But even without the e-mail, you could just try going to 'log in' on the home page and sticking in the username (your handle) and password (that's the secret one you invented). It should work anyway, as the password is the same as the one you put in.

Still can't log on

Blimey. OK. Did you use punctuation (,';-_@., etc) in your username handle? Bad. Gaps are OK, but punctuation could cause problems.

Did you have capitals in your username handle or secret password? You can, like me. But you have to replicate them when you log on too. Check your caps lock isn't on.

Alternatively....

The problem could be that you have a less 'acceptable' e-mail address: AOL users for example always have problems. So the simplist way to deal with the problem, is to open a more 'acceptable' e-mail account, after all you only have to use it once. We know Yahoo e-mail addresses work. Just have a look in your 'spam' box in case the activation confirmation is sent there. Actually you don't need to await the confirmation, as the user name and password will be the same as the one you entered yourself.

Help!

If you've tried, and still can't get in, I'll set up an account for you myself for you to use, and then I'll delete my records of it once you're in- just let me know and I'll do it.

Best regards,

Cacadores
jamesingalway@yahoo.ie

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help