Lead

May 31 10 5:24 PM

Tags : :

All,

I admit to being a lover of my hobby, and consider it one of the most satisfying hobbies around. Lucky I have an understanding family, and also the moral support of my younger brother, who has crossed over, to join us in the wargaming side!

First love is Napoleonics, especially 1812-14, with ACW a close second. My recent passion is Wars of Spanish Succession. I am also a relatively recent convert to Ancients via the Impetus rule set. I also have dabbled in Liberators - Wars of Liberation in Spanish South America.

I game in London, and am a member at the SLW and have some great friends there.

I have published one rule set in the 1990's - Little Eagles, and have recently had my amendments for Impetus - Le Roi Soliel (1690-1740) accepted and posted on the Impetus Forum and website.

Des
Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 31 10 7:34 PM

SLW and Salute

I was indeed there with my son. Thought is was a great show, although I know some thought it lacked a bit of "wow". I thought it was a good balance of games and trade. I just wish I had more time to go around.

Best games for me were Blenheim and Busaco.

I go to SLW most Mondays (but June going to be a bit tough), so if you want to come down for a game, drop me a line.

Des

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

Brig. General

#3 [url]

May 31 10 7:45 PM

Well, I'm member but I'll let you know when I'm next there! I agree with you about the 'wow' factor: I think perhaps it was down to the figure painting. I saw better the year before. There was some nice ideas though - like the 'Ride the Divine Wind' Kamakazi game. And Blenheim and Bussaco had good figures. I went to Busaco last year - great looking place and it's pretty so somewhere to take the other half too. I think the best game was Phil's Warlords game about the Battle of the Bulge - or their make-believe take on it.

There's a Warlords game I played with Mike Evans shown in the Horse and Musket section.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 31 10 7:52 PM

Mike is still going to the Club and I play Impetus with him whenever we can fit a game in. Last year we played a lot, but the pull of new periods makes it difficult to get a run of games in. We are trying to make Jult ACW month.

Des

Quote    Reply   

Cacadores

Brig. General

#5 [url]

May 31 10 10:28 PM

Impetus: he likes these generic rule systems, doesn't he? Black Powder can be used with a range of periods too. I'm using other Dadie & Piombo rules: Breaking News for modern skirmish. I would also like to play a series of battles in one period, if only because it's good to play a battle with rules you know by heart but there are too many sweets in the toy shop, I guess. The closest I've got to that is arranging a one-day compe[nipple]ion using a series of Shako brigade vs brigade comflicts. That was nice because everyone got used to the rules and could develop some strategic thinking.

Did you mean 'July' ACW? You thinking of going over there? There's also the Waterloo re-enactment in June coming up.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help